Ryan,

I too have applied myself to the problem of how networks relate to the
timing of behavior, in work forthcoming in AJS -- this based on a
dissertation written under him. In general, HCW's students are more
likely to break off one of his insights and develop it in some empirical
context than to "test" the whole thing at once. Thus I have been
concerned with the problem of agency under structural constraints; Ann
Mische develops some of his insights about language and identity (look
for her book on Brazilian youth politics in 18 months or so); Eric
Leifer applied himself to the problem of maintaining comparability in
his excellent but underappreciated book on the history of professional
sports (Making the Majors); Peter Bearman's book on Norfolk, England,
made much of the idea of structural equivalence; Philippa Pattison (not
quite a former student but close) developed some of White et al.'s ideas
about role algebras; and a number of organizational scholars picked up
on his preoccupation with problems of organizational control (e.g.,
Robert Eccles, John Padgett -- another quasi-student). Earlier students
were no doubt inspired by other aspects of White's agenda (e.g.
Granovetter, DiMaggio, and obviously Breiger). You may have heard of
some of these people, and thus should reflect skeptically upon someone's
characterization of White as an "isolate."

David Gibson

Balazs Vedres wrote:

>Ryan,
>
>I work with David Stark at Columbia Sociology (where Harrison White is now),
>and we have a paper that tries to elaborate on the "narrative challenge",
>unsing sequences of network changes.
>
>We address the challenge posed by White in I and C:
>
>"Social structures often are made to seem the antipodes to, or at least
>unrelated to details and nuances of, sequencing in timing. This is in part
>because of the influence of structuralism. Social times should instead be
>accounted as much part of structure as are network spaces" (Harrison
>White, 1992 p. 77).
>
>Link to the paper:
>http://www.ksg.harvard.edu/digitalcenter/event/Stark_Vedres_social_times.pdf
>
>Best
>Balazs
>
>_____________________________________
>B a l a z s   V e d r e s
>Assistant Professor
>Department of Sociology and Social Anthropology
>Central European University
>http://www.ceu.hu/soc_ant/index.htm
>  and fellow at the Santa Fe Institute

David Gibson