not me. seems like that want us to do their work
for them. very short sighted, of course, because
respondents can promote their own stuff given
the lure of 'funding' lurking in the background.
with best wishes
pat

--On Friday, January 07, 2005 10:53 AM -0500 Valdis <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

> If anyone is interested...
>
>> Dear Colleague,
>>
>> We are writing to ask for your help on a U.S. National Research Council
>> (NRC) study on "Network Science" that we re serving on.  The goal of
>> the
>> study is to describe the current state of the art in network science
>> and
>> make recommendations that can be used to guide decisions about future
>> directions in this area within the federal government.  The study has a
>> broad charter, including understanding the connections between
>> engineering, biological, social, financial and other network phenomena.
>> The initial funding for this study comes from the Department of
>> Defense,
>> but the National Research Council (as part of the independent National
>> Academies of Science) believes that our report will have a significant
>> impact on the entire field, so we are especially interested in
>> obtaining a
>> wide range of views.
>>
>> To help us get a mapping of the current activities in the field, we
>> have
>> put together a short web-based survey that we are asking researchers in
>> the field to fill out.  The survey should only take a short while
>> (10-15
>> minutes) to complete and would be a great help in making sure that we
>> understand the current work that is going on and some of the important
>> research directions that should be pursued.
>>
>> The survey is available at
>>
>>    http://www8.nationalacademies.org/survey/deps/networksci2.htm
>>
>> I hope that you can help out on this study by taking the survey soon,
>> as
>> we are beginning some initial analysis this month.
>>
>> We also invite you to forward this invitation to other network science
>> and
>> related researchers.
>>
>> With appreciation,
>>
>> Will E. Leland, Chief Scientist
>> Network Systems Research Lab, Telcordia [log in to unmask]
>>
>> Richard M. Murray, Professor
>> Control and Dynamical Systems, Caltech

patrick doreian
professor and chair
department of sociology
2406 WWPH
university of pittsburgh
Phone: (412) 648-7584
Fax:       (412) 648-2799
email: [log in to unmask]
            [log in to unmask] (for the journal of mathematical sociology)