If the passing of "Mr. Graph Theory" has already been noted on this list, I
apologize - I didn't see it.

Frank Harary died earlier this year (Jan 4, 2005). I used to be skeptical
when he would begin a sentence with "When I created graph theory .", but I
have to admit now that his contribution to making graph theory a field was
in fact huge. He was also an extremely colorful character who often drove
people batty while being quite charming all at the same time. I remember
almost all of my few interactions with him (e.g, in the hospitality suite at
Sunbelt conferences) quite vividly.

I didn't know until this minute that I felt this way, but I realize I
remember him fondly and will miss him.

Steve.

Steve Borgatti

Organization Studies Dept