I too have fond memories of Frank Harary, and regret that our
oft-postponed project will never come to be: we were to link my old East
York data (1968 variety) of network configurations to his math analysis.

I regret it slightly more now that Google ("Frank Harary" 2005) tells me
that Frank had an Erdos number of 1. (I am only a 3, which ties me with
John Nash!).

Just the first page of Google hits found fascinating stuff on Frank. I
will summarize in Ties & Bonds in next issue -- anyone who wants to send
me Frank stuff -- please do.

Here are some examples.

a) Two obits:
1. This first one contains a list of collaborators and of Frank's papers.
Frank Harary 1921-2005. Dr. Frank Harary was born on March 11, 1921 in New
York City. He obtained his Bachelors and Masters degrees ...
www1.cs.columbia.edu/~sanders/graphtheory/harary.html

2. FRANK HARARY, 1921-2005. Frank Harary was born in New York City on
March 11th, 1921, the oldest child of immigrant parents from Syria and Palestine.
www.oakland.edu/enp/obit.html

b) Erdos and Harary: http://www.math.itb.ac.id/~rino/erdos.htm

"Here are five people with more than 200 coauthors: Paul Erdös with 509,
Frank Harary (Erdös number 1) with 268, Yuri Alekseevich Mitropolskii (3)
with 244, Noga Alon (1) with 233, and Hari M. Srivastava (2) with 227. The
other four sociable mathematicians (all have between 155 and 180
coauthors) are: Saharon Shelah (1), Sergei Petrovich Novikov (3),
Aleksandr Andreevich Samarskii (3), and Andrei Nikolaevich Kolmogorov (2).

There are currently 509 people having written a joint paper with Paul
Erdös (who have Erdös number 1) and 6593 people with Erdös number 2.

Albert Einstein's Erdös number is 2; Claude E. Shannon's and John
Nash's are 3; both Stephen Hawking and Bill Gates have Erdös number 4."

 Barry