There is a chapter in "Advances in Social Network Analysis" (edited by Wasserman and Galaskiewicz, Sage 1994) entitled "Primate Social Networks" by Sade and Dow.  Although a little dated it still has some good references.

There is also:

Freeman, Freeman, and Romney 1992 The implications of social structure for dominance hierarchies in red deer, Cervus elaphus, L. Animal Behavior 44:239-245.

-----Original Message-----
From: Social Networks Discussion Forum [mailto:[log in to unmask]]On
Behalf Of René Ríos
Sent: Friday, January 14, 2005 2:12 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Animal Networks

Valdis:  one reference to "gorilla" (its baboons actually) grooming is the
following

Dunbar, R. I. M. 1993. "Coevolution of neocortical size, group size and
language in humans." Behavioral and Brain Sciences 16:681-735.
I googled it and downloaded from a web site.   Hope it´s the one you are
looking for.

At 14/01/2005  15:05, you wrote:
>*****  To join INSNA, visit http://www.insna.org *****
>
>I am writing an article on the various applications of SNA.  I am
>including some paragraphs on non-human networks.  I know about the
>protein networks, the electric grid, the nervous system of the worm,
>etc.
>
>I would like more information on animal networks.  I remember Karen
>Stephenson talking about gorilla grooming networks and I have seen the
>recent interesting work on dolphin and guppy networks.  I recently
>helped map a Cow network, and via Google found references to networks
>of giraffes, seals, and chimps.  I am focused on actual mapping versus
>simulations.
>
>Any other interesting animal networks that are currently under the
>radar?
>
>Valdis

René Ríos F.
Profesor
Instituto de Sociología
Pontificia Universidad Católica de Chile
686-5719