From: Joshua O'Madadhain [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: January 4, 2005 2:53 PM
To: Cassidy, Erin
Cc: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [SOCNET] wikipedia vs. simple wikipedia

On 4 Jan 2005, at 9:57, Cassidy, Erin wrote:

> A humbly submitted clarification regarding wikipedia's inaccurate
> description of SNA. The previous email referred to the definition at
> this
>
> The simple in the URL indicates that this is not the standard
> Wikipedia.
> Simple English uses fewer words and easier grammar than the original
> English Wikipedia. It is focused on readers who tend to be quite
> different
> people with different needs: students, children, and translators. From:
> http://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Simple_English_Wikipedia
>
> Wikipedia's "real" article can be found here:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Social_network

Erin:

Thanks for clarifying the distinction.  However, simplicity doesn't
have to imply inaccuracy.  (Imprecision, perhaps.)

As a side note, if there are any educators that want to take a stab at
the Simple version, neither its language nor its vocabulary strike me
as being particularly well-suited to (younger) students or children.
(How many children will recognize "contagion", "analytically",
"diffusion", or "affect"?)

Regards,

Joshua O'Madadhain

Joshua O'Madadhain: Information Scientist, Musician, and
Philosopher-At-Tall
   It's that moment of dawning comprehension that I live for--Bill
Watterson
   My opinions are too rational and insightful to be those of any
organization.