sorry for clogging your inbox with that last e-mail.

the earlier list omitted barry's tilly references;  also, a few more
references came to me directly the last several days, so here is a new and
improved reference list.

david

Social Network Analysis and Ethnic Conflict

Baerveldt, C., Van Duijn, M.A.J., Vermeij, L., & D. A. van Hemert
(2004). Ethnic boundaries and personal choice. Assessing the influence
of individual inclinations to choose intra-ethnic relationships on
pupils' networks. Social Networks 26(1), 55-74.

Banton, M. (2000): Ethnic Conflict. Sociology, 34(3): 481-498.

Bhavnani, R. and Backer, D. (2000): Localized Ethnic Conflict and
Genocide. Accounting for Differences in Rwanda and Burundi. Journal of
Conflict Resolution, 44(3): 283-306.

Feagin, Joe and Harlan Hahn. 1973. Ghetto Revolt: The Politics of Violence
in American Cities. New York: Macmillan.

Fearon, J. and Laitin, D. (1996): Explaining Interethnic Cooperation.
American Political Science Review, 90(4): 715-735.

Flap, H. D. (1988): Conflict, Loyalty and Violence. The Effects of
Social Networks on Behaviour. Frankfurt, Verlag Peter Lang.

Forbes, H. D. (1997): Ethnic Conflict. Commerce, Culture, and the
Contact Hypothesis. New Haven, Yale University Press.

Gould, R. V. (1999): Collective Violence and Group Solidarity: Evidence
from a Feuding Society. American Sociological Review, 64(3): 356-380.

Hage, P. (1973). A graph theoretic approach to the analysis of alliance
structure and local grouping in Highland New Guinea. Anthropological
Forum, 3: 280-294.

Hallpike, C. R. (1972). The Konso of Ethiopia: A study of the values of
a Cushitic people. Oxford: Clarendon Press.

Various work by Ian Lustick.

Massey, G.; Hodson, R., and Sekulic, D. (1999): Ethnic Enclaves and
Intolerance: The Case of Yugoslavia. Social Forces, 78(2): 669-673.

Myers (2000). The Diffusion of Collective Violence: Infectiousness,
Susceptibility, and Mass Media Networks; American Journal of Sociology
(106)1.

Roba, A.W. & Witsenburg, K. (2004). Surviving Pastoral Decline:
Pastoral sedentarism, natural resource management and livelihood
diversification in Marsabit District, Northern Kenya.
PhD dissertation (2 volumes), Amsterdam Institute for Metropolitan
& International Development Studies, University of Amsterdam,
Netherlands.

Sherif, M., Harvey, O. J., White, J. B., Hood, W. R., & Sherif, C. W.
(1988). The robbers cave experiment: Intergroup conflict and
cooperation.
Middletown: Wesleyan University Press.

Takács, K. (2001): Structural Embeddedness and Intergroup Conflict.
Journal of Conflict Resolution, 45 (6): 743-769.

Takács, K. (2002): Social Networks and Intergroup Conflict. Groningen,
ICS Dissertation Series. http://www.ub.rug.nl/eldoc/dis/ppsw/k.takacs/

Tilly, Charles, _The Vendee_ (showing the network basis of
counterrevolution in France.)

Tilly, Charles. 1969. "Collective Violence in European Perspective." Pp.
4-45 in Violence in America, edited by Hugh Graham and Tedd Gurr.
Washington: U.S. Government Printing Office. was written at a time of
major civil strife in the US, and argued for a network approach.

Tilly, Charles. 1984. Big Structures, Large Processes, Huge Comparisons.
New York: Russell Sage Foundation.  is a really nice summary. I still
assign the first half in my network course.

And Tilly has done a huge number of studies on contentious violence in
Europe. (I feel if I can write one paper for every book of his, I am doing
well.)

George Tita, K. Jack Riley, Greg Ridgeway, Clifford Grammich, Allan
Abrahamse, Peter W. Greenwood (2003) Reducing Gun Violence:  Results
from an Intervention in East Los Angeles, Rand.

Todd, D. (1979). War and peace between the Bodi and Dime of southwestern
Ethiopia. In K. Fukui & D. Turton (Eds.), Warfare among East African
Herders (pp. 211-225). Osaka: National Museum of Ethnology.

Allan Tulchin, "The Reformation in Nimes" (Ph.D. dissertation,
University of Chicago, 2000), 355-368

Allan Tulchin, "The Michelade, 1567," French Historical Studies
(forthcoming).