All:

Last Saturday, ace birder Alan Murray of Naples thought he saw a
Black-chinned Hummingbird along Fritchey Road (Naples) but was unfamiliar
with the species to the point where he wanted concurrence by other
birders. Today, Wednesday, January 12th, I had to run some errands on
Marco Island. Afterward, I decided to give Alan's hummingbird a shot.

First, the location where Alan found this bird is actually Laredo Street.
Laredo Street is the street which begins after Fritchey Road makes a
sharp turn to the north at its end. Second, the tree to which the
hummingbird is coming is a Powderpuff (Calliandra haematocephala --
native to Brazil) and not a Bottlebrush Tree at 10300 Laredo Street in
Naples.

With that out of the way, the hummingbird that I saw today at about
3:00PM was indeed a female Black-chinned Hummingbird. Here are the field
marks that make me concur with Alan's original identification. First, I
saw the bird perched for nearly five minutes and studied it from 15 feet
away using my 7x45 Zeiss "Night Owl" binoculars. As Alan noted, the tail
of this bird barely projected (if at all) beyond its wings and the
wingtips themselves were curved and the last primary (P10?) was broad and
blunt i.e. not pointed like in Ruby-throateds. The bird pumped its tail
constantly in flight as well. The bill was l-o-n-g and decurved, longer
than the Ruby-throateds I'm accustomed to seeing.

The overall coloration of this bird was a dull greenish color. The head
crown was browish-gray, not green. I didn't notice if the forehead was
flat(ter) as would be expected for this species vs. that of a
Ruby-throated, sorry.

I did notice that the chin was a dirty grayish white, unlike what I'd
expect for Ruby-throated Hummingbird.

That's it. . . . Oh yes, a couple of other things, the name of the
property where the Powderpuff is located is Southern Tree Farm. The owner
(whom I talked to) told me that hummingbirds have been coming to his
property for two winters now and he said it was OK to watch them. I only
saw one hummer -- the Black-chinned, however. The owner has placed a
hummingbird feeder on this Powderpuff tree although when I was there,
there was no sugar water in it.

Most importantly, you can see this tree right from Laredo Street as it is
only 15 feet or so from the road and there is ample room to pull over on
the berm.

Lastly, if you do not see the bird at this location, continue a few
hundred yards down Laredo Street and there are more Powderpuffs along the
road so the hummer might show up there as well.

This may be the first Black-chinned Hummingbird for Collier County ever.
I do know that a local Naples birder had a Buff-bellied Hummingbird
coming to his feeder earlier in late fall or early winter but very few
people got to see it. Maybe this is the year for unusual hummingbirds in
Collier County?

Good luck if you go for this bird!

Vincent Lucas
Naples