From: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [Fwd: Spider-Man and a general question]

I like it!  I was struck by similar themes in the film.

How about the manic defense in SpM and GWB?   The first is a conveniently fictional manic defense - it works - in the form of weightless-supersticky-really fast and strong; GWB in the Pangloss/Machiavelli lovechild need to put a positive spin on each and every bit of news; the renunciation of all accountability, and the refusal to acknowledge even partial failures.

Peter Parker, at least, managed to document actual achievements, and refused to give himself a vacation, much less multi-million dollar parties, or medals of deity to his cohorts.  SpM was a model of reparation; GWB, of envy.

Disclaimer:  I believe the myth of the Superhero, free of moral ambiguity, is alive and kicking/sticking, quite relevant these days.  My comments about the Pres shall be confined to this context only.

DS