From: Steve Collins <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [FLBIRDS] NE FL Glaucous Gull (maybe)
Date: Sun, 30 Jan 2005 13:13:37 -0500

I appreciate Rex letting the cat out of the bag that I had some
photos of the Gull, which subsequently flooded my inbox with emails.

My photos aren't great, and the bird was some distance away.
However, here's my 2 cents.

In flight the bird appeared slightly larger than the neighboring
Herring, which suggests Glaucous.  Indeed, the bird probably is.
However, this bird was completely white (to my eyes).  There was no
grey, brown, or "dirty" markings anywhere on the bird, which I
expected to see on a Glaucous.  I suppose it's possible that at our
distance,
we simply couldn't see the markings, or that they did not exist if the
bird was incredbly worn.  Patrick Leary sent me a beautiful photo of a
Glaucous Gull from Jekyll Is in GA, which shows a lot of brown
pigment. I don't think this was the same bird.

Fuzzy photos are posted here:

http://plaza.ufl.edu/dcollins/GLGU/

Cheers,
Steve Collins
Gainesville, FL

Member  photos  I:     bkpass.tripod.com/floridabirds.htm   (copy to
browser)
Member  photos II:     floridabirds-l.50megs.com            (copy to
browser)
For archives:  lists.ufl.edu/archives/floridabirds-l.html   (copy to
browser)
Set nomail: Click:  mailto:[log in to unmask]   Set
floridabirds-l nomail