I have also seen several very large flocks of tree swallows. The funny
thing about these is first, there are 3 groups, and second, I always see
them flying west very late in the day. I never see them coming. Just see
them as they pass over the house and head into the sunset. I live in a
rural area also. West of me are several habitat types, pine/palmetto,
some remnant hammocks, pastures, and small wetlands. I assume something
out there is drawing them to one of those areas.

Anne Bellenger
Avon Park FL