Hello everyone,

We got back yesterday from a very nice, week long, vacation to SW Florida. Did the usual Orlando things and then the fun started (at least for me).

Jan 24 - the start of the birding ...

Plant City - stayed in a motel there and spotted my first fun birds when loading up the car in the morning - collared doves. Yeah ... I know ... who cares (but they were a lifer for me!

Budgerigar - skipped on them - sounded a bit difficult to find and they were a bit too much out of the way.

Oscar Scherer SP for Scrub Jays - ended up passing it up based on other recommendations.

Celery Fields - I just wasn't organized enough to have directions or contact info with me, so it got skipped as well

Myakka River SP - a bit disappointing for variety or quantity, but did get some wonderful photos of an Osprey eating a large fish and there were bunches of palm warblers and fish crows. No alligators to be seen (too cold?) Saw a Sandhill Crane in a pasture on the way to the Park (only one seen the entire trip!)

Venice's Woodmere Park was a washout as far as the Black-bellied Ducks go. Never did get to see any!

Venice Audubon Rookery - WOW - such fun! Nothing new there but the views were wonderful and I filled up a 256Mb card taking photos.

Venice beach at Sharkies - no Monk Parakeets or Bald Eagles to be seen but ... The Scrub Jays were wonderful - very friendly and cooperative for photos. And they worked for peanuts!

Jan 25-26th - Sanibel Island

Fun Fun Fun and not just at Ding Darling!

Jan 27th - Everglades via US41

Nice, a few goodies here and there. Mosquitoes not too bad.

Jan 28th - Miami area

Got to photograph the Monk Parakeets before hitting the road north again. Rainy weather on trip up the coast.

Photos will be available for viewing after Jan 30th at 2pm EST at www.digiscoping.org/fltrip

And a very sincere thanks to all of those who replied off list with information on locations and offers of assistance -- Carla - Sue - Steve - Anne - Bill - Tom - Dick - Jim - and anyone else I may have missed!

Jim Seaman