Hi all,
Sunday found Pete Murphy, Walt Winton and I starting the day off at Eagle
Lakes Park. The usual hordes of blackbirds, waders etc.. except for Blue-winged
Teal and mottled ducl most ducks were abdent. A purple gallinule was pleasant,
swamp and savannah sparrows as well. We headed for Fritchey Rd. and ran into
Alan Murray at the hummingbird site. Clearly a feamle Ruby-throated was
present, we could not get conclusive looks at her companion (antagonist?) which
appeared to be a female as well. The downy Great Horned Owls and a parent were
visible from Greenway. Eagles were very active, an imm. was assaulting an Osprey
that let go of her catch and the eagle lost the prize as well and a puny catch
at that. Then an ad. Peregrine joined in, wow!! that was cool. Of course there
were 1,000s of robins. We missed the flycatchers for now. Stopped at midday
at the Big Cypress Bend boardwalk, pretty quiet, a couple of titmice. ate lunch
at Chocoloske, skipped on chicken. Returnined to Fritchey and YES!! an male
Scissor-tailed flycatcher and toward 41 on a side street was a Western
Kingbird. Back to Eagle lakes for naught and on to Sugden. Sugden was swarming with
people but also hordes of Robins, waxwings, buttebutts and a Parula. A
Sharp-hinned Hawk was harrassing everything. Finally wAlt and I stopped at the Water
Treatment Facility on Goodlette/Frank The front pond has been lowered and it is
loaded with shorebirds and puddle ducks- Long-b. Dowitcher 2, Gr. Yellowlegs,
Least Sand., Killdeer. Mottled, B-w Teal, Baldpate, ad m shoveler, farther out
on the other ponds were scaup, ring-necks and hooded mergs. A great day all
around. eyas
Vince McGrath
Ft. Myers,Fl.