-----Original Message-----
From: Open Forum for Learning Assistance Professionals
[mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Pat Scheib
Sent: Friday, February 25, 2005 3:30 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Goal Setting Exercises

Hi Laura,

I have a PowerPoint presentation I have developed over the past several
years on Goal Setting.  I use this workshop most often in my study
skills program, where most of my students are first semester freshmen,
pursuing associate or bachelor degrees at Pennsylvania College of
Technology.   I teach Goal Setting as the first workshop.

The PowerPoint itself is pretty heavily animated. Here's the gist of
what/how I cover it:

After a quote from J.C. Penney: "Give me a stock clerk with a goal and
I'll give you a man who will make history.  Give me a man with no goals,
and I'll give you a stock clerk.",  I start out asking them to complete
the sentence "Five years from now, I will be . . . " (I ask them to
write it out).

After about 2 minutes, I ask for volunteers to share their goals and we
discuss it briefly.  When a student  starts to say, "Five years from
now, I hope . . . " I stop them and ask them to restate it using the
word "will" instead of "hope".   I use that opportunity to discuss the
difference between a wish (you sit around hoping it's gonna' happen) and
a goal (you get moving and make it happen).

Then we discuss the characteristics which make a goal more achievable
and I talk to them about the difference between Long Term, Medium Range
and Short Term goals.   I suggest to to them that framing Medium Range
goals into the academic year is effective for a lot of students.  I
portray short term goals as the daily habits and activities of our
mundane lives, which we choose to do, or not.

Do you go to class today, or sleep in?
Do you start the rough draft on the English paper, or wait until
tomorrow?
Do you read that Psychology chapter, or let those reading assignments
start to accumulate?
(The next workshop I do in this class is on Time Management and I teach
them how to write these short-term goals onto to-do lists or assignment
books and give themselves credit for accomplishing them.)

I stop and ask them to list some short-term goals they will accomplish
or have already accomplished this week.  We discuss how easy it is to
accomplish most of these short-term goals and how often we complete
these without a lot of fanfare and without any huge immediate reward,
but after a couple of weeks, these small goals start to add up.

I tell them that the greatest reward to me, for accomplishing these
short-term goals, is the feeling of actually being in charge of my own
life.  If I took care of what needed to be done today, I feel good when
I'm drifting off to sleep at night.  I feel like an adult who is taking
responsibility for my life.  I tell them I recognize that one of the
major goals of your average college student is the desire to run their
own lives, and this is how it's done.

As you'll see in the PowerPoint, I illustrate the whole short, medium
and long-range goal process as a pyramid.  The short-term goals form the
foundation of the pyramid, with medium-range goals building on those.

If I have time (if the class is 90 minutes or more), I also have them
take a few minutes to identify obstacles that might get in the way of
accomplishing their goals.  We discuss these and I give them a brief
intro. to the ideas of internal vs. external locus of control.  Some of
their obstacles are just bad habits they can change or friends they can
choose to stop hanging out with, but some are not so easily overcome.
We identify just how much power they have to influence some obstacles
and how they are going to avoid or work around the ones they can't
change.

The final slide is a list of short term goals they can work on for the
rest of the week.  I give them this list as a handout.

Feel free to use any of these ideas if you find they address your
needs.  I will attach the PowerPoint, but if it doesn't come through,
please email me and I'll email it to you off-list.

Thanks,
Pat

>>> [log in to unmask] 02/22/05 12:02 PM >>>
Hi All,

I am trying to find some good exercises on goal-setting.  Have you
come
across any that you find useful?

Thanks Everso,

Laura

In body type: SIGNOFF LRNASST-L

To access LRNASST-L archives,point your web browser to =