Several years ago I attended Skip Downing's "On Course" workshop. I
participated in an activity there that I have used every subsequent
semester. This activity takes a simple ring-toss game and turns it into
a powerful metaphor for goal setting and long-range planning. I have
used this in freshman seminar courses as well as tutor training courses,
and it is consistently a positive and meaningful experience for the
participants - not to mention a whole lot of fun. It is easily
modifiable for time constraints, specific objectives, etc., and easily
segues into time management, motivation, and other relevant topics.

Attached is a document in rtf format in which I describe the activity as
I implement it. Credit goes to Dr. Skip Downing.

Lynell R. Williams
Coordinator, Tutoring & Learning Center
UNC Wilmington
601 S. College Rd.
Box 5968
Wilmingon, NC 28403
phone 910/962-3549
fax 910/962-3727
NEW PHYSICAL LOCATION: Westside Hall, 1st floor, Room 1056

However, many electrons were terribly inconvenienced. -- Anonymous