The first chunk of my Sunbelt Workshop on Networks for Newbies deals with
the history of social network analysis. Sounds like it might be useful for
some folks.

Some other useful historical sources: my first chapter in Wellman &
Berkowitz, eds., Social Structures: A Network Approach (chapter is on my
website).

Lin Freeman's new book about the history of social network analysis.

There are others, I am sure.

We are seeing a turnover in the field, and one consequence is
discontinuities in knowledge.

As the sage said, "Everything old is new again."
But which sage? My grandmother never told me.

 Barry