Sorry Gang,
     I got the year wrong in my earlier post.  The full citation to the
paper I was talking about is:

        Identity and Search in Social Networks. By: Watts, Duncan J.;
Dodds, Peter Sheridan; Newman, M. E. J.. Science, 5/17/2002, Vol. 296
Issue 5571, p1302

Correct Citations are important...

Miller

On Fri, 11 Feb 2005, Miller McPherson wrote:

> I agree with your general point about science, but the coin of the realm
> in the academy, and in science as a profession, is citation--the credit
> for an idea.  Many, if not most of us "of a certain age" here have had our
> oxen gored by Duncan's lack of attention to little details of citation.
> My own most direct experience in this regard is his 2003 Science paper,
> which invents homophily, Blau (sociodemographic) space, organizations
> assembled into populations of organizations, and so forth.  All without
> any attribution.  From the point of view of the scientific enterprise it
> is more or less irrelevant, but from the individual's point of view it can
> feel like theft.  That may account for the affective tone of some of the
> dialogue here.
>
> Miller
>
> ********************************        *
> Miller McPherson                     *  *
> Professor of Sociology               ******
> University of Arizona                   *
> and
> Research Professor
> Duke University

Miller McPherson                     *  *
Professor of Sociology               ******
University of Arizona                   *