All networks look the same.  I keep thinking what a strange discussion this
is given the general field of study.  Is it not the case the network study
is a series of networks?  One would expect embedding, transitivity, etc.
The strangest part is the we/they discussions.

Steiny is right, Harrison White is apropos.  Quite literally what
disciplines connote (even in White's adaptive use of the term) is rule
interpretations for extending identity and control.  There is clearly no
monotonic science of networks--it is indeed networked, polymorphic, and
socially constructed and dimensioned--though real enough.  Physics networks
will look for "physicsy" things.  Structural sociologists will look for
structure (I suppose.)   The rest of us will try to get a book published
explaining how this matters to a range of loosely tied fields.  There is a
bit of the feeling of a room full of advertisers looking for a slogan for
their club.

Ryan L. Lanham
Virginia Tech
.

Network Analysis of the Economy - www.isnae.org
>    125 Mission St #3 - Santa Cruz, CA 95060 - 831.471.1671 - fax:
831.471.1670