Yes, scientific specialties and disciplines can excellently be mapped using
aggregated journal-journal citations as available from the producers of the
Science Citation Index (the Journal Citation Reports). These citations
follow a powerlaw distribution, but not in the interesting part of the
distribution, that is, the core set of journals which shape specialties
(let's say the first 20-50 most cited journals).

I brought Pajek files online for all journals in the (Social) Science
Citation Index at http://www.leydesdorff.net/jcr03/cited .

With kind regards,

Loet  _____

Loet Leydesdorff
Kloveniersburgwal 48, 1012 CX Amsterdam
Tel.: +31-20- 525 6598; fax: +31-20- 525 3681
[log in to unmask] ; http://www.leydesdorff.net/