Hi,

I take this opportunity to advertise my software tool, Sitkis. :)

Although it may be very difficult to locate Croatians who have never worked
in Croatia, you can at least identify and network Croatians who have
published in journals catalogued in ISI Web of Science. Just go to ISI and
define in advanced search topic area is Diaspora and address is Croatia.
Next thing you do is download all articles with any authors based in
Croatia. The affiliation data in ISI is recorded from the journals and
corresponds roughly to the time of publication.

If you want to draw collaboration networks, you can do it easily with Sitkis
1.5 (from www.sitkis.org). You need to import the articles from ISI to
Sitkis and then create a 2-dimensional network with authors and their
articles. Using 'Affiliations...' command in Ucinet, you can get a
co-authorship network consisting of all Croatian-based researchers and
people who have worked with Croatians. With some Access-trickery you can get
the list of Croatian authors and filter out the foreigners in Ucinet, or use
NetDraw to create a graph with a different symbol for Croatians and
foreigners.

It is also possible but more complicated to create graphs of researcher
relatedness based on their citation patterns, if it is appropriate to assume
that use of similar references signifies relatedness in research
orientation. I did something similar once when I looked at the Finnish
researchers interested in pollution.

If you are interested we can discuss this outside the list.

Regards,
Henri Schildt

Helsinki University of Technology