 yes, you are obviously right. It would be interesting, however, to see more current collaboration along the lines I understood Bettina to be suggesting. Clearly the roots of modern network analysis lay in physics.

-----Original Message-----
From: Don Steiny [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Wednesday, February 02, 2005 6:33 PM
To: rhoten
Cc: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: All Networks Look the Same?

        I can't help but point out that Harrison White, argueably the most influential person on modern network theory, was a physicist who applied his knowledge of physics to the social sciences.  Here is a paper that discusses that:

http://www.mot.chalmers.se/dept/idy/home/azarian.pdf

        White has a number of important papers, perhaps his one on blockmodels is the most influential for network analysis.

-Don

rhoten writes:

> The idea of collaboration seems like an excellent proposal idea ... I think there could be a fascinating line of work here, merging the sociologists' and physicists' approaches to networks, exploring where lay the convergences and divergences in approaches ... examining opportunities to and obstacles for a network law(s).
>
> Diana

Don Steiny - [log in to unmask] - [log in to unmask]  Institute for Social Network Analysis of the Economy - www.isnae.org
   125 Mission St #3 - Santa Cruz, CA 95060 - 831.471.1671 - fax: 831.471.1670