The roots of modern network analysis reach into the soil of many
disciplines -- sociology, anthropology and psychology.  But not physics.

To the extent that Harrison White has contributed, it was through changing
his disciplinary focus from physics to social science.

Network methodology.  Now there's an interesting topic of discussion.
Modeling interactive, dynamic systems with emergent properties is a child
of the computing revolution.  And we are in the midst of that now.

 On Wed, 2 Feb 2005, rhoten wrote:

>  yes, you are obviously right. It would be interesting, however, to see more current collaboration along the lines I understood Bettina to be suggesting. Clearly the roots of modern network analysis lay in physics.

 Blumstein-Jordan Professor of Sociology and Statistics
 Department of Sociology
 Box 353340
 University of Washington
 Seattle, WA 98195-3340