i am totally with you on that point. talking about social networks, one needs some knowledge about social sciences. and if one does not have that knowledge, it definitly should lead to finding a helpful sociologist.

But about the general laws: physicists have a very long tradition of finding laws in nature that did not look as though they have anything in common. Later research found they had thouhg! So maybe it would be a very good idea to let the physisicst look for general laws, while the sociologists use the methods to gain mor insight into the sociological questions.