Most organizational networks I have seen have a few nodes with high
degrees and more with low degrees, though I am not sure they fit the
Barabasi, et.al. distributions and definitions -- i.e. power law.
There are plenty examples of real human networks with a very low delta
between highest degree vs. lowest degree.... depends on the network
content.  For the same population, one network may approach the power
law format[with a few obvious hubs], while another set of links for the
same population have a normal distribution -- and a very flat one at
that.

One of the problems I see is what some physicists consider a 'social
network' -- the movie actors data base.  On one hand it is social
because it contains humans, but what is the real link?  Do we have
evidence that two people that appeared in a movie together ever had a
conversation, or would call one another?  Or could transfer a virus? Or
any other typical human interaction? And the possibility that X is
linked to Z because they both appeared in a movie together with Y is
kind of crazy to me[ suppose [X--Y in 1970]  [Y--Z 1980] and X died in
1975].  IMHO their criteria for a link is set way too low.  I bet the
actual actor's social network[who interacts with whom] looks much
different.

Maybe some of these patterns appear from incomplete data?

Valdis