Hi Steve

As a physicist being member of the INSNA and the german physicist society (DPG) I can tell you, that there exist two worlds which as it seems do not talk much to each other. I do not yet know why this is the case, but i will ask my colleagues at this years physicists meeting in Berlin in march (right after the sunbelt). But maybe a little more time will help here. I guess that in the beginning mathematicians and sociologists might also have been incompatible.

just as a hint as to  what they present in Berlin: http://www.dpg-tagungen.de/prog/aksoe/aksoesummary.pdf

Best regards,
Bettina