i just think if you study social networks, it helps to know something
about social science.

of course physicists have done research on networks.  and it is
fascinating to think about some of the parallels, but the idea that all
networks have the same form, or come from the same generational mechanism,
doesn't make much sense -- empirically, scientifically, or intuitively.
it's a bit like saying that if you have independent observations, all you
need is a (one parameter) linear regression model. and without a good
statistical method to evaluate the fit of alternative models, it's not
clear how this (or any other) claim could be assessed.

On Thu, 3 Feb 2005, Bettina Hoser wrote:

> I do not support the view of Martina, but partly that of Moses. networks
> do play a very large role in physics: much of solid state physics
> (semi-conducter, conducter, cristals, etc) is about transport in
> networks or growth of networks. on the other hand for example aome
> quantum mechanical effects like entanglement etc is also about particles
> that are somehow or other connected.
>
> I guess the question is, how many and who in the relative scientific network are willing to share their ideas and thoughts in such a way to help all of us to better understand networks and their dynamics. I look at it as a kind of mosaic: if whoever has something to contribute does that regardless of "old" animosities between different fields of science, then the whole field will be better off.
>
> I really do hope to see more physicists interested in sociology (and also citing the relevant people).
> --
> Dipl.-Phys. Bettina Hoser
> Informationsdienste und elektronische Märkte
> Fakultät für Wirtschaftswissenschaften
> Universität Karlsruhe (TH)
> D-76128 Karlsruhe
>
> Gebäude 20.20 RZ (Raum 164), Zirkel 2
>
> Telefon: +49.721.608-8407
> Telefax: +49.721.608-8403

> http://www.em.uni-karlsruhe.de

  Director
  Center for Studies in Demography and Ecology
  Box 353412
  University of Washington
  Seattle, WA 98195-3412

  Office:	(206) 685-3402