Hello all,
I have a colleague in Croatia who is trying to pull up a project of
tracing all Croatian academics who are currently working in Diaspora -
the end goal would be to map a network of Croatian academics in the
world, and identify key actors in Croatia who are connecting them with
the country and local academic networks/institutes/universities. The
attempt  is to find out the forms of collaboration taking place (if they
are attending conferences together, publishing together, citing each
others work, getting funding, etc.) as well as how often do they
collaborate.

In addition to mapping Croatian-foreign based Croatian academics
network, another ambitious goal is to use the bibliography base of
Croatian Journals to map a network using citations.

As he asked for my help, and since I have already established an amateur
reputation on  this list, I am forwarding the call for help to all of
you out there, who have more experience than me and probably smarter
advices than I could give.
Basically, he asked me if I was aware of similar projects / studies, if
I could recommend any questionnaires to be used, following of course
smart methods of initial generation of the population of interest...I
googled around and found some academic-network studies, but I am curious
if there are representative pieces google did not trace...any advice is
more than welcome, and I promise to get him on SOCNET, so that I stop
playing the intermediary role. Don't kill the messenger :-)

I thank you all in his name,

Hana

Hana Milanov
PhD student