Meret and others,

I had a male cardinal with the same "muzzle" back in 1961--65 at my house in
Orlando.  He seemed to do just fine with his "deformity" and even raised
"kids."  I moved to New York at the end of the summer of 1965, so I don't know how
much longer he lived.  He actually "came out of the egg" that way, I guess,
because his parents brought him to the feeder as a fledgeling, and his upper
bill just never developed.  I watched him because I did not expect him to make
it, but his parent's kept cracking seeds for him until he got the "knack" of how
to do it on his own, and he could crack sunflower seeds just as fast as the
rest of the family!  As an adult, he adeptly fed his own babies without missing
a beat.

Cheers & prayers
Dee Thompson
Nashville, TN