Steve,
I saw the bird this AM. I have no problem calling it a Common Teal. All the
field marks you mentioned were seen: strong buff line surrounding the green eye
patch, the buff line even comes down to the base of the bill, it has more
vermiculations than the American Green-winged Teals on its flanks and the flanks
do appear to be slightly lighter in color, it does have a horizontal white
stripe on the scapulars, it has no trace of a vertical stripe on the side of the
breast.
The horizontal stripe on the scapulars appears to be bigger on the left side
however the size of the stripe seemed to be tied to feather position. At one
time it was long and very wide. I really don't think it is a hybrid based on
these observations.

"So many species so little time"
John Hintermister
Gainesville, Fl.