>>I wonder how many were surprised by the careless manner in which you
>>identified the birds. Beginning birders in Ornithology 101 learn the
>>convention of using upper case initial letters to spell the names of birds.
>>In your post you failed to use the upper case in several instances.  This
>>was quite disappointing, coming from a birder of your obvious
>>accomplishments.
>>
>>Maybe the lesson here is that we should all be more careful in typing the
>>names of birds in our posts. Don't you think?
>
>No.
>
>Vince Lucas
>Naples

Good English usage should trump the incorrect information you got in Ornithology 101 every time. Only proper nouns in the familiar names of birds should be capitalized: Wilson's plover, Baltimore oriole, swallow-tailed kite, mourning dove, etc. In Latin names, genus is capitalized, species is not.
Jean Dormer
Boca Raton