I think probably a lot of what Stevenson wrote is perhaps a bit outdated now.  Patterns do change, as we all know.  Here in Jacksonville it is not at all unusual for me to have an Ovenbird wintering in my neighborhood and even in my yard (as is the case this year).  However, certainly not in any numbers !  Quite common during migration, but not exactly what you could call common in winter.  Seems more like one here, one there sort of thing.

Julie Cocke
Jacksonville