DEAR COLLEAGUES WITH EXPERTISE IN MATHEMATICAL GRAPH THEORY:

I am sure that you are familiar with MENGER'S THEOREM (1), once
recalled to the SNA community by Steve Borgatti at the end of his
'Quorum of Graph Theoretic Concepts' (Connections 17/1 (1994):
47-49).

(1)  For any connected (undirected) graph G=(N,L) (L is a
     subset of P2(N)=the set of 2-element subsets of a
     finite set N), and any two nonadjacent points p and q,
     the minimum number of points that must be removed
     in order to break all paths joining p and q in G is
     equal to the maximum number of point-disjoint paths
     joining p and q.

DOES ANYBODY KNOW A PROOF OF (1) SIMPLER AND SHORTER THAN THAT
GIVEN IN CHAPTER 5 OF HARARY'S 'GRAPH THEORY' (1969)?

I would like to place a proof of Menger's theorem in my book
('The Mathematics of Exchange Networks', in process) to make my
theory exposition self-contained. I need Menger's theorem to
derive two other famous theorems.

(2)  Let a0(G) denote the 'point covering number' of G: the
     minimum number of points which cover all lines of G
     ('a point covers a line if it is one of its
     endpoints'). Let b1(G) denote the 'line independence
     number' of G: the maximum number of pairwise disjoint
     lines of G. For any bipartite graph G, a0(G)=b1(G).

(3)  Let G(A) stand for the set of lines of G=(N,L) with
     one endpoint in A and the other in N-A. Let G be a
     bipartite graph, that is, N is the union of two
     disjoint sets N1 and N2 such that every line in L has
     one endpoint in N1 and the other in N2. If |G(A)|>=|A|
     for any subset A of N1, then b1(G)=n1.

I can easily prove that (1)=>(2)=>(3). A relatively simple proof
of (3) is given in an old book by Ore ('Graphs and Their Uses',
1963).

IS IT POSSIBLE TO DERIVE (1) FROM (3)?

Regards,

Tad Sozanski

  Tadeusz SOZANSKI, Ph.D.        JAGIELLONIAN UNIVERSITY, POLAND
  INSTITUTE OF SOCIOLOGY         Phone: (48)(12) 6631734
  Chair of Research on             Fax: (48)(12) 4302099
  Group Processses, rm.49        Email: [log in to unmask]
  52 Grodzka, 31-044 Krakow      Http://www.cyf-kr.edu.pl/~ussozans/