Fernanda Viegas wrote:

>Given the recent interest of folks in this list in visual representations of social networks, this conference might be relevant to some of you: InfoVis 2005. It's the world's premier academic conference on information visualization.

The International Conference on InfoVis attracts more papers and
attendees and provides a fruitful, truly international forum for applied
InfoVis research.
http://www.graphicslink.demon.co.uk/IV05/

The annual Conference on Visualization and Data Analysis aims to
cross-fertilize among Geospatial-, Scientific- and InfoVis and has a
specific focus towards the coupling of data analysis and visualization.
http://vw.indiana.edu/vda2005/

>Last year, the "contest" track in the conference revolved around a dataset of citations for all papers in the 10 previous years of conference proceedings (pure social-network material). The visualizations that came out of that were pretty impressive: http://www.cs.umd.edu/hcil/iv04contest/INFOVIS04-contestsession.pdf

Many visualizations are highly interactive. I suggest to check out the
contest submissions linked from
http://www.cs.umd.edu/hcil/InfovisRepository/contest-2004/

;)

> [...]
>

>VIDEOS
>Due: Thursday, June 30, 2005
>
>The Video track is a new addition to InfoVis. Videos are an effective way to educate others about new information visualization techniques and concepts. We want to encourage the production of high quality videos, and aim at producing a valuable resource that will stimulate research and that can be used for educational purposes.
>
>Videos are submitted as a digital video movie, with maximum size of 100 MB, accompanied by a two (2) page summary of the work. The length of the video should preferably not exceed 5 minutes, but in very special cases exceptions can be made. The size limit is strict however.
>
>We encourage original submissions of unpublished work, as well as new submissions showcasing systems, methods and techniques of interest to the information visualization community that have been presented in other venues.
>
>Accepted videos will be included electronically on the IEEE Visualization 2005 Conference DVD, shown during the InfoVis symposium, placed on the official infovis.org web site, and the summary will be distributed in a hardcopy compendium to all symposium and conference attendees.
>
>At least one author of an accepted video must attend the conference to clarify the work and answer questions from the attendees at the evening poster session on Monday October 24.
>

>Organizers
>
>General Symposium Chair
>Keith Andrews, Graz University of Technology, Austria
>
>Program Chair and Vis05 Liaison
>Pak Chung Wong, Pacific Northwest National Laboratory
>
>Papers Chairs
>Matt Ward, Worcester Polytechnic Institute
>John Stasko, Georgia Tech
>
>Video Chairs
>Ed Chi, PARC
>Jarke van Wijk, Eindhoven University of Technology, The Netherlands
>
>Interactive Posters Chairs
>Chris North, Virginia Tech
>Sheelagh Carpendale, University of Calgary, Canada
>
>Contest Chairs
>Georges Grinstein, University of Massachusetts Lowell
>Mark Derthick, Carnegie Mellon University
>Marjan Trutschl, Louisiana State University
>Urska Cvek, Louisiana State University
>
>Publications Chair
>Alan Keahey, Visintuit
>
>Publicity Chair
>Fernanda Viégas, MIT
>
>Webmaster
>Carson Bloomberg, Carnegie Mellon University
>
>Best Paper Chairs
>Pat Hanrahan, Stanford University
>Keith Andrews, Graz University of Technology, Austria
>
>Steering Committee
>Stuart Card, PARC
>John Dill, Simon Fraser University, Canada
>Steve Eick, SSS Research, Inc.
>Steve Feiner, Columbia University
>Nahum Gershon, MITRE Corp.
>Daniel Keim, University of Konstanz, Germany

Katy Borner, Assistant Professor
Information Science & Cognitive Science
Indiana University, SLIS
10th Street & Jordan Avenue     Phone:  (812) 855-3256   Fax: -6166
Main Library 019                E-mail: [log in to unmask]
Bloomington, IN 47405, USA      WWW:    ella.slis.indiana.edu/~katy

Check out the new InfoVis Lab Gallery at
http://ella.slis.indiana.edu/~katy/gallery/