I'm sorry, but y'all in my home state are just so lucky! I know you're used to seeing the sun on a daily basis, but up here we've still got snow on the ground, more forecast, and single-digit wind chills. I'm planning a trip to the sun as soon as I can schedule it. I'll be visiting family and my old stompin' grounds in the St. Pete/Clearwater/Tampa area.

There is a bright side here, though. There are lots and lots of feathered friends mobbing my home. You see, I have suet, seed, and meal worm feeders going at all times and a small pond with a heater which assures ready access to water. I also live adjacent to the sanctuary portion (no non-resident humans or dogs) of a large Metro Park.

Our birds are all Black-capped Chickadees, Titmice, Red-breasted & White-breasted Nuthatches, all varieties of woodpeckers (including several No. Flickers), hordes of Am. Goldfinches, House Finches, Purple Finches, Carolina Wrens, and Dark-eyed Juncos. I mention this so that if any of my FL friends have to leave their sunny climes for a visit up here any time soon, you don't have to despair of seeing interesting birds.

On Tuesday, I happened to be home rather than at work and had a marvelous experience. I had a Coopers Hawk land on our front porch. She sat there on the railing (under one of the seed feeders and well hidden by rose canes and under the canopy of our front porch roof. I'm sure she was waiting for some poor, unsuspecting junco to come to feed under her, but she saw me and reluctantly left her perch. I really got a good long opportunity to study her, though.

So, if any of y'all are ever planning to come up to the Detroit area, let me know! I'll be glad to fill you in on who's seeing what up here - just like I keep monitoring FL Birds to read what you're seeing down there.

Melissa Pappas

Brighton, MI