Afternoon Florida birders,

Taking a break down on Sanibel at my mom's place (spring break with my daughter), enjoying the backyard birds that include her Snowy and Great Egret, White Ibis, Mottled Ducks and of course the doves, cardinals, crows and grackles.  A pair of Red-shouldered Hawks are nesting in the top of the Norfork Pine in the front yard. The backyard birds don't care much for their presence though.

But of special note, late yesterday morning I had a light phase Short-tailed Hawk circle on thermals over the house.  This is the first short-tailed I have seen on the island.  Does anyone have info on their status on Sanibel?

Many thanks,

Harry Hooper
Tallahassee, Florida