Yesterday, 3/31/05, while birding at the Lake Monroe Conservation Arrea, an adult BALD EAGLE flew past heading north - a few moments later I noticed a commotion to my right (north) across a large meadow at the edge of a wooded area. Much to my surprise it was an adult BALD EAGLE carrying a GREAT EGRET! It flew thirty or forty yards with its lanky prey dangling from its talons and then flew up into the trees where it disappeared from view. This is the biggest prey I have ever seen being carried by any raptor.

Speaking of big prey, while on the subject, I recently have witnessed Ospreys on Lake Monroe with fish so large that they could not take offf from the surface although they tried many,many times.They finally had to release their prize! On one occasion the Osprey was pulled under water several times before he finally let go!

Roy Peterson
Deltona, Volusia County