Hello,

Stopped at a different spot to look for birds this morning. With the
chance of having a Black Bear burst out of a thicket there, a little
more thrill of adventure is added in this area which now has public
access. SWFWMD had purchased 100 acres along Aripeka Road in west Pasco
several years ago. To find this spot, from Hernado County traveling
south on US Hwy 19 go one mile after the county line, turn right on
Aripeka Road. A half mile in on the left you will see a metal gate and
the SWFWMD signs. A public access walk way and sign in post are
provided. This area is notorious for having bear kills on this road
every spring. Female bears use this property for denning amongst the old
mine spoils and pits. The vegetation, including Red Cedar trees, which
have over grown the mine area provide added cover for the bears.

With the strong winds this morning I was not expecting many birds, but
next to a Cypress dome and thick under brush, out of the wind, I found
at least 3 Ruby-throated Hummingbirds, 2 Orchard Orioles, Northern
Parula, and other common birds. No bear sightings this time.

Ken Tracey     [log in to unmask]
New Port Richey, FL