When I lived in upstate NY, I witnessed a juvenile Bald Eagle try to carry off a domestic goose.  My first sight of the incident was the eagle sitting out in a flock of geese on Lake Cayuga (there was a flock of greylag geese associated with a nearby county park).  It wasn't until I got my binoculars that I figured out that the eagle was sitting on a goose and not just floating in the water like some ugly gosling stepchild.  The eagle attempted multiple times to fly away with the goose, but failed each time and had to rest on top of the goose before the next attempt.  After about 10 minutes, the eagle gave up and left the goose in the water (still swimming, I don't know how injured) and flew over to a sandbar where 2 adult eagles sat watching.

Bruce Christensen
Micanopy

>>> Robert Amoruso <[log in to unmask]> 04/01/05 8:14 AM >>>
I will have to visit Lake Monroe CA soon.  I have seen a Bald Eagle carry of a large (about 12" long) Slider Turtle; that is the largest I have seen. It was near Timber Creek HS in Avalon Park last year. Unfortunately, the increased development has seemed to chased off all the eagles that used to frequent the area.

Robert Amoruso

---- Roy Peterson <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

Yesterday, 3/31/05, while birding at the Lake Monroe Conservation Arrea, an adult BALD EAGLE flew past heading north - a few moments later I noticed a commotion to my right (north) across a large meadow at the edge of a wooded area. Much to my surprise it was an adult BALD EAGLE carrying a GREAT EGRET! It flew thirty or forty yards with its lanky prey dangling from its talons and then flew up into the trees where it disappeared from view. This is the biggest prey I have ever seen being carried by any raptor.

Speaking of big prey, while on the subject, I recently have witnessed Ospreys on Lake Monroe with fish so large that they could not take offf from the surface although they tried many,many times.They finally had to release their prize! On one occasion the Osprey was pulled under water several times before he finally let go!

Roy Peterson
Deltona, Volusia County