Hey Everybirdy,

  Hit the birding trail pretty hard today, but at a nice leisurely pace.
Headed over to Hal Scott to meet up with Alex Vinokur.  On my way there, I
spotted a Crested Caracara flying across SR 407, just west of I 95 as well as a
Red-tailed Hawk with a snake just before I got to Alex.  He had already been
birding there (Hal SCott), for two hours or so.  His notable finds?  3 Red-cockaded
Woodpeckers
7 Brown-headed Nuthatches
Several singing Bachman's Sparrows
Both of us were spotting several Eastern Bluebirds at various points.
 Took off for Viera Wetlands.  Nothing but Sandhill Cranes and Black-bellied
Plovers in the sod fields.  Nice flocks of Bobolinks along the west edge of
the click ponds.  The infamous female Scaup is still swimming and diving happily
in the north click pond.  I believe it is a Greater Scaup.  Anyone like a
peek at a few digiscoped shots of it, feel free to visit my website:

 http://www.geocities.com/woundedmallard67/tbirds.html

  Over to the Wetlands area, we were graced with the presence of at least 7
Least Bitterns.  Two of which did not appear to mind wandering far from the
cover of the bull rush.  Also got to watch a juvenile Black-crowned Night Heron
take a glide around the palm trees.
  What day is complete without a trip to MINWR.  Did a trip around Blackpoint
Drive:
Got more than and eyeful of the following: (sorry, it was too hot to
count!)All at stop 2 too!!
Semipalmated Sandpipers
Stilt Sandpipers
White-rumped Sandpipers
Least Sandpipers
Semipalmated PLovers
Short-billed Dowitchers
Lesser Yellowlegs
Black-necked Stilts.....only one Spotted Sandpiper, but, boy what a nice
looking one!
 At the visitor's center we were treated to awesome looks at a pair of
Screech Owls-check at the desk, a Refuge Volunteer will gladly point the way.
  Headed back out to Blackpoint with the Mrs. joining us, so that she could
get a dose of Sandpipers too!  After scanning for a while, all the sandpipers
were up in a flash!  A pair of Peregrines will do that to ya!!
  Mrs. went home with Jack.  alex and I had to peek behind Pumphouse Rd.
More of the same peeps, felt like we wished we'd have gone there earlier though!
  In the midst of a crowd of Black Skimmers, Laughing and Ring-billed Gulls,
Forster's, Royal and Caspian Terns we did find 5 Gull-billed Terns.  2 in
alternate plumage and 3 not dressed for the party.
  Well, I guess that was a good warm-up for our day at Ft. Desoto tomorrow,
wouldn't you say!!

  See you out there!!

Thomas J. Dunkerton
Titusville, FL
Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge: it is those
who know little, not those who know much, who so positively assert that this
or that problem will never be solved by science.
Charles Darwin Naturalist and author (1809-1882)