fyi

 Barry

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 4 May 2005 15:07:59 +0100
From: Eleanor Reynolds <[log in to unmask]>

Aesthetic Networks: Media Design and the Future of the Future
Date: Wednesday 11 May 2005, 15:30 - 16:30
Location: Oxford Internet Institute, 1 St Giles, Oxford, OX1 3JS
Speaker: Peter Lunenfeld, Media Design Program, Art Center College of
Design, California

As we accelerate into the 21st century, we suffer from a vision deficit. One
reason we have so little faith in the future is that what's to come has
never been so inadequately imagined. Knock modernism, if you choose, but at
least the art, design, and architecture generated in that heady period put
forth a panoply of futures seductive enough to inspire others to bring them
into being.

Corporate culture certainly hasn't ignored the future. Over the last 25
years, far-sighted multi-nationals have institutionalized long-term scenario
planning to ponder upcoming conditions and their effects on long-term
investment and profits. What about the rest of us?

The advent of visual computing and massively-scaled networks has made it
possible for groups of individuals to come together and envision futures
they might actually want to inhabit. This seminar will propose the creative
mis-use of scenario planning, showcasing media designers who have crafted
visualizations - often interactive, immersive, or augmented - of compelling
and meaningful futures.

For further information please see:
http://www.oii.ox.ac.uk/collaboration/?rq=seminars/20050511

Attendance: This seminar is open to the public but you must register by
Emailing your name and affiliation, if any, to [log in to unmask]

Laura Oultram
Events Assistant
Oxford Internet Institute
University of Oxford