In our research, we've seen that one of the major uses of social software is
to reinforce face-to-face networks.  Think about how often you IM/email your
friends and family.  Also, many online relationships end up going offline;
that's what the vast majority of online dating is oriented towards
achieving.

As people use the Internet more, they tend to use it for more serious and
emotionally sensitive purposes. "An extra year of Internet experience
[resulted] in a 70 percent increase for all e-mailers in e-mailing family
members for advice and a 63 percent increase in those sending e-mails to
family members expressing worries." (Pew Internet & American Life Project,
"Getting Serious Online")

Young people often prefer to communicate via these technologies.  When teens
were asked to choose whether they prefer to share their innermost feelings
with their parents or a blog, the parents barely won: 49 percent chose a
blog and 51 percent selected their parents.  Seventy-one percent of teens
say they prefer to keep in touch with long distance friends via instant
message or e-mail, as opposed to phone. ("America Online's Red Service for
Teens Introduces New Blog Product", 29 March 2005,
<home.businesswire.com/portal/site/google/index.jsp?ndmViewId=news_view&news
Id=20050329005147&newsLang=en>, (5 April 2005).)

For a wiki with profiles of many of the major social software companies,
plus links to resources to find all the others, please see
http://thevirtualhandshake.com/directory.htm

David Teten

Providing institutional investors with access to frontline industry experts:

Nitron Advisors, LLC ( http://www.NitronAdvisors.com )

Consulting opportunities for industry experts:

Circle of Experts (http://www.CircleofExperts.net )

email: [log in to unmask]

Skype IM/VOIP phone: dteten

direct: [1] 212-329-1010, main: [1] 212-329-1020

cell: [1] 917-355-5726, private efax: [1] 815-642-0480

3 West 35th Street, 7th floor

New York, NY  10001-2204  USA

Social Software resource site and blog: http://www.TheVirtualHandshake.com