Hi all,

a very basic question and request for comments:

Commonly, a social network is defined as a set of individual persons
(actors) that are connected through social relationships. On the other
hand, social network analysis (as an empirical method) includes models
of isolates (single actors that are not connected to the overall
network) or independent components (multiple actors that are connected
but not to the main component). Concepts of isolates and independent
components (also known as islands) are a contradiction to the above
cited network definition. In that case, we should rather speak of
different networks (than of one single network consisting of different
components) or we must modify our network definition.

Does anybody know any literature that addresses this contradiction? Or
do you have any suggestions how to overcome it?

All suggestions and comments are very welcome!

Thank you! Best wishes

Tobias

--
Tobias Müller-Prothmann
Dipl.-Soz.

Freie Universitaet Berlin
Institute for Media and Communication Studies
Department of Information Science

Malteserstr. 74-100
D-12249 Berlin

Tel. +49 (0)30 838 70854