I do not see a contradiction here. The definition is really a set of nodes
(actors) together with a set of edges (ties) that connect pairs of actors.
The definition does not specify how these ties are distributed across the
set of actors. In addition, the set of ties can be empty, as when a group of
strangers meet. As time passes, more and more ties are formed, and the
network becomes gradually less fragmented until all nodes belong to the same
component. If you do not allow networks to be fragmented, it is difficult to
talk about the evolution of a network.

I tend to reserve the term "different network" for different social
relations (e.g., friendship and advice), or for the networks obtained by
taking separate surveys of different groups, as when I collect network data
separately within top management teams of 40 companies (ala the work of Nick
Athanassiou). The latter case could be viewed as components but we don't do
that because the respondents were not given the opportunity to report ties
between the organizations.

Steve

Steve Borgatti
Org Studies, Boston College