Here’s a paraphrasing of the responses I got to my posting.

Amusingly, 60% of the responses were essentially “Help, I’m looking for
this information too.” :)

1. Morris, Michael W., Joel M. Podolny, and Sheira Ariel.
2000. "Missing Relations: Incorporating Relational Constructs into Models
of Culture." Pp. 52-90 in.

2. Innovations in International and Cross-cultural Management, edited
by Christopher Earley and Harbir. Thousand Oaks: Sage.

3. Wellman's series of studies on personal networks in a suburb of
Toronto give plenty of comparative stats especially of density and social
capital.

4. Ron Burt’s large-scale "General Social Survey" surveys of personal
networks. “Try looking under that heading or something similar to find the
references. Also of course you'll know by now that Burt is a seminal author
on social capital issues - however he does take a very "competitive" view
of social capital, which I'm not sure is entirely appropriate outside
defined social groups such as organizations.”

5. Claude Fischer, _To Dwell Among Friends_ (1982). …rural-urban
northern California.

6. Barry Wellman, ed., _Networks in the Global Village_ (Westview,
1999). ……Comparative, across societies.

7. Susan Bastani’s fascinating study of social networks in Tehran,
wherein she compares Tehranis networks to those in North America: Social
Networks, Social Support and Marital Relationships. University of Toronto,
2001 Available online at:
http://www.collectionscanada.ca/obj/s4/f2/dsk3/ftp05/NQ63788.pdf (I’ll fwd
any email queries to her).

8. From John Scott: F. Stokman, R. Zeigler, and J. Scott Networks of
Corporate Power (Polity Press, 1985). “This took data on the top 250
corporations in 10 countries (incl US, UK, France, Italy, etc) and compared
network structure systematically, using the same methods and procedures.
There are separate country reports and some overviews. One of the main
measures that we looked at was density, where we tried to chart national
differences in relation to cultural-legal differences. We also looked at
centralization and other network measures.”

Individuals’ responses:

1. L. Ripley Smith, Ph.D. (Communication Department, Chair:
Northwestern College) forwarded me an excellent lit review of social
networks and culture.   His dissertation is also of interest: Intercultural
social support networks: A socio-structural description of expatriate
adjustment and communicative competence.  (I’ll fwd any email queries to
him).

2. Sheen S. Levine (Lee Kong Chian School of Business: Singapore
Management University) wrote me the following: “We’re studying the general
tendency towards density using a experimental, cross-cultural methodology.
We’ve just began, but the findings so far show a stable preference for
dense networks, across cultures. We present papers with some preliminary
results at ASA and AoM this summer.” Email address (by permission):