The University of Arizona "requires" one semester of College level
mathematics as part if its General Education plan. There are three strands
of requirements: the "science-oriented" which typically starts with
pre-calculus, the "general" which starts with College Algebra and the
"terminal" which offers one overview of applications. The requires course
depends on the student's major and proficiency on arrival.  Students may
fulfill the GenEd requirement with any College level Math.

As has been said here, advisors tend to prefer the non-terminal strands
because they create opportunities to pursue "math-intensive" majors.
However, many majors require the "terminal" strand to their students, and a
couple have been authorized to waive the requirement altogether.

While we would like students to fulfill their Math requirement as soon as
possible, many students delay the step, perhaps until they have decided on
a major. This is detrimental to many students who get "rusty" after one or
more semesters of not practicing the skils.

>Date:    Tue, 21 Jun 2005 13:50:24 -0600
>From:    Kathryn VanWagoner <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: advising math
>
>This is really not a developmental education issue, but I'm guessing some
>of you could steer me in the right direction, so here's a question for you.
>
>I'm am curious about core math requirement courses across the country.  We
>have a lot of students who struggle to pass college algebra -- our core
>math class.  We offer equivalents to college algebra -- an introductory
>statistics course, and a quantitative reasoning course, but relatively few
>students are enrolling in them.  I would think our humanities students
>would go to quantative reasoning in droves, but they mostly take college
>algebra.
>
>I inquired with one of our campus advisors and was told that the advisors
>rarely encourage students to take the quant. course because college
>algebra transfers more readily.
>
>My question is this:  how prevalent are math courses for liberal arts
>students, as a substitute for the traditional college algebra core
>requirement.  What is the transferability of these courses.
>
>I appreciate any information on this topic.
>
>Thanks,
>

>Kathryn Van Wagoner
>Director, Math Advantage Programs
>Utah Valley State College
>801-863-8411

Guillermo Uribe Ph.D.
Director, University Learning Center
1200 E. University Blvd. - Old Main Rm 201
Tucson AZ 85721-0021
520.621.4548