Ray (and others),
Your suggestion seems to me to be a good beginning.
In your message, however, you do not address what lies between the
poles of political  "overtones" and "attacks", namely substantive
political discourse. What is your opinion on this vast middle?

I don't think attacks of any kind, political or otherwise, would be
advocated by anyone on this listserv, so I think we could all find
agreement there, but that terminology ("attack") doesn't get us very
far in determining what members feel are appropriate boundaries. My
concern with stating that messages with political overtones are
acceptable on the listserv is that such a formulation  doesn't
address explicitly political statements. Perhaps we can be more
specific about groundrules.

For instance, I  believe that explicit discussion of political issues
germane to education and the discussion of politcal implications of
educational issues are appropriate for this listserv. If a person who
submits a posting makes the linkage between education (or perhaps
more specifically developmental education or higher ed) and politics,
then by virtue of that linkage the posting is relevant to the
purposes of the listserv. If messages with obvious political content
which are not explicitly linked to education (or some narrower
category), then they would be deemed out of bounds. This puts the
onus on the person posting to make the relevance of any message
apparent to the group. This criteria could also be applied to ALL
messages not just putatively political ones. So, anyone posting a
message would need to ask themselves, "Is this message relevant to
the community and have I made this relevance clear to the list
members?"  and answer in the affirmative before posting.

Other thoughts?
Nic

--

Dominic J. Voge
UC Berkeley Graduate School of Education

"What we seek to know is our knowledge of reality, not Reality."--
Anne E. Berthoff

In body type: SIGNOFF LRNASST-L