I have also found that meeting weekly (or even bi-weekly) with students for
a "coaching session" has a huge impact on their success.  I haven't used a
contract, but we talk about their performance, upcoming assignments,
strategies for tacking the work, etc.  I think it works similar to the
weekly Weight Watchers or AA meetings.  When they know they'll be
accountable to someone, they make sure they do the work.  So what I'm
saying is that a contract is great, but don't feel that you have to include
this in order for the sessions to be effective.

Good luck!
Saundra

Saundra Y. McGuire, Ph.D.
Director, Center for Academic Success
Adj. Professor, Department of Chemistry
B31 Coates Hall
Louisiana State University
Baton Rouge, LA 70803
225.578.6749 phone
225.578.2696 fax
www.cas.lsu.edu
http://chemistry.lsu.edu/chem/facultypages/mcguire/mcguire.asp

                      Bill Holdman
                      <holdmanb@HIWASSE        To:       [log in to unmask]
                      E.EDU>                   cc:       (bcc: Saundra Y McGuire/smcgui1/LSU)
                      Sent by: Open            Subject:  Re: probation
                      Forum for
                      Learning
                      Assistance
                      Professionals
                      UFL.EDU>

                      06/15/2005 01:59
                      PM
                      Please respond to
                      Open Forum for
                      Learning
                      Assistance
                      Professionals

I would like a copy of this contract also.

Thanks
Bill Holdman

On Wednesday, June 15, 2005  2:29 PM, Spencer, Amy wrote:

>Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2005 14:29:48 -0400
>From: Spencer, Amy
>To: [log in to unmask]
>Subject: Re: probation
>
>Suzanne,
>
>Do you have a copy of the contract you use and/or a check list/document
>of topics that you discuss with the students during "coaching" that you
>would be willing to share with the List?  It sounds as if you are ding a
>great job!
>
>Thank you!
>
>Amy Spencer
>
>Director of the Academic Resource Center
>
>Ohio Dominican University
>
>1216 Sunbury Road
>
>Columbus, OH 43219
>
>614.251.4511