Hi David (and Everyone),
      I would suggest that you contact the National Association for Equal
Opportunity in Higher Education (NAFEO), as they may have resources.
Additionally, I found an informative article at:
http://www.gseis.ucla.edu/ccs/digests/dig0102.html

    I'm very glad you're interested in looking into this.  The situation is
quite complex, involving such concepts as stereotype threat, etc.  It's not
that minority students are any less capable, but often they come from high
schools that have not prepared them as well for the academic experience
they will encounter in college.  Mentoring programs are great, as are
activities that build confidence.  A couple of other universities that have
strong minority academic assistance programs are Cornell Univeristy and the
University of Washinton.

Hoping this helps,
Saundra

Saundra Y. McGuire, Ph.D.
Director, Center for Academic Success
Adj. Professor, Department of Chemistry
B31 Coates Hall
Louisiana State University
Baton Rouge, LA 70803
225.578.6749 phone
225.578.2696 fax
www.cas.lsu.edu
http://chemistry.lsu.edu/chem/facultypages/mcguire/mcguire.asp

                      David Hayes
                      <[log in to unmask]        To:       [log in to unmask]
                      URI.EDU>                 cc:       (bcc: Saundra Y McGuire/smcgui1/LSU)
                      Sent by: Open            Subject:  support for minority students
                      Forum for
                      Learning
                      Assistance
                      Professionals
                      UFL.EDU>

                      06/14/2005 08:58
                      AM
                      Please respond to
                      Open Forum for
                      Learning
                      Assistance
                      Professionals

Hi everyone,

Can anyone comment on or direct me toward instructive material on Learner
Assistance programs to support academic success for minority students?  We
are just now developing a project to do this here at URI, and I'd like to
study some successful models. I've just read with great interest Blake and
Moore's Retention and Graduation of Black Students: A Comprehensive
Strategy in Darancyk, Higbee and Britt Lindell's Best Practices for
Retention in Higher Education (I'm reading other chapters now).  I'm hoping
some of you might be interested in discussing your programs (on or
off-list), or directing me to useful literature...

Thanks...

David

David Hayes
Director, Academic Enhancement Center