Hey, Leonard.

I read in Tinto's book, Leaving College (1987) that nationally only 15%
of students leave college due to academic dismissal (51-52).  It's been
my experience that the great majority of the students I work with do
have the necessary brain power, but the inability to manage their
learning is the big problem.  I'd say 75 to 90%.  If I have to choose
one, I'll say 90%.

The best (by far) resource I've used for dealing with these issues is On
Course by Skip Downing: http://www.oncourseworkshop.com/

Hope this helps.

Tom

--