Thank you Deb, this sounds like fun. I'm replying to the listserv so
that everyone can see your input.

Julie

>>> "Simpson, Deb" <[log in to unmask]> 6/3/2005 4:16 PM >>>
I had the same problem.  What I began doing last summer was putting
the
information online in August before our 6-hour initial training
meeting.
All tutors were asked to read the material (one assignment at a time)
and respond to the online discussion group.  I asked questions like
"Which policy do you think will be hardest to follow?"  or "What
surprises you about the role of the tutor as it is described here?"
Then in our six-hour f2f meeting, we use the time to role play,
discuss
ideal versus real situations, have a scavenger hunt, take a quiz
developed by a former staff member (students work in pairs) on the
online information, etc.  The summer training has become a lot more
fun
for me and the staff.

Wishing you well in your search-

Deb